Independent Adoption Center has been a pioneer and advocate of Open Adoption since 1982, and is now the largest, oldest, and most experienced open adoption agency in the country. As a non-profit and trusted leader in the field of adoption, one of our goals is to create transparency and make available the information needed to learn more about open adoption and our organization.
For background information, as well as objective third-party perspectives, please see the news stories and organizational details below.
For media queries, more in-depth information or to schedule interviews, please contact:
- 12/21/2016 LifeZette | The 5 Trickiest Personalities to Manage This Week
- 09/09/2016 US Weekly | The Guncles Share Four Tips For Surviving The First Year of Parenthood
- 01/08/2016 MODE | We’re a Trans Couple: My Life
- 09/30/2015 People Magazine (Babies) | The Guncles Honor Adoption with Limited Edition Carrier: We Wanted to Give Back for Helping ‘Find Our Babies’
- 9/25/2015 PerezHilton.com | The Guncles Launch Limited Edition LÍLLÉbaby Carriers To Celebrate Adoption! Get The Cute Deets HERE!
- 05/21/2015 CW Network / MyRDC | Community Matters: Niketa Frazier (Episode 48, Segment 2)
- 12/12/2014 Dallas Morning News | Group gives support to adoptees, birth and adoptive parents
- 11/01/2014 Creating a Family Radio Show | Talking with Adopted Kids about Birth Parents
- 09/18/2014 Indianapolis Recorder | Mom builds loving family through adoption
- 06/05/2014 LGBT Weekly | And baby makes three: San Diego couple finds a successful adoption to celebrate this Father’s Day
- 04/04/2014 Celebrity Baby Scoop | The Guncles: Advocates For Adoption
- 03/06/2014 MLSsoccer | THE WORD: Brotherly bond helps lift Vancouver Whitecaps rookie Christian Dean to MLS
- 12/01/2013 Indianapolis Star | Parents’ use of the Internet for adoptions can be dangerous
- 06/14/2013 Hallmark Channel | Home & Family: Open Adoption Information (Season 1)
- 12/06/2012 Indianapolis Monthly | Baby Wait: Indy Couple Appears on Adoption TV Show
- 11/23/2012 The Sharon Herald | The long road to ‘family’
- 08/26/2012 Logo Network | The Baby Wait (Season 1, Episode 1)
- 08/14/2012 The Wall Street Journal | LIFE: One Baby, Two Moms: a Rise in Open Adoptions
- 07/302012 The Salt Lake Tribune | Open adoption is norm; should arrangements be enforced?
- 05/02/2012 Pleasant Hill Patch | A Look At Open Adoption – Does It Work Better For The Child?
- 10/21/2011 USA Today / Associated Press | Adoptions spiked among gay couples in past decade
- 03/22/2011 Comcast | 10 Percent
- 11/23/2010 Comcast | Newsmakers
- 06/24/2010 CNN | In America: The gay 'Brady Bunch' family
- 06/16/2010 Creating a Family Radio Show | How to Prepare an Adoptive Parent Profile
- 04/30/2010 KCLU National Public Radio | Emotional Fitness Radio Show with Dr. Barton Goldsmith
- Segment 1 (Fears & Myths of Openness)
- Segment 2 (Defining a Birthparent’s Role)
- Segment 3 (Effects of an Open Relationship)
- 01/01/2010 United States Radio Network | Your Time with Kim Iverson
- 09/30/2009 The AIDS Beacon | AIDS And Adoption – Part 1: Can I Adopt If I Am HIV-Positive?
- 09/26/2009 Psychology Today | Adoption Stories: Adoption as a Reality Series
- 09/12/2009 WE tv | Adoption Diaries: Dr. Jennifer Bliss (Episodes 1-4)
- 09/10/2009 Bridezillas | Sneak Peak at Adoption Diaries on WE tv
- 08/03/2009 CNN | Adoption Diaries (September Release)
- 05/19/2009 Oxygen Network | Tori & Dean: Home Sweet Hollywood (Season 4)
- 11/26/2006 Los Angeles Times | Bruce Rappaport, 64; trailblazer in open adoption
- 11/21/2006 San Francisco Chronicle | Bruce Rappaport – founded Independent Adoption Center
- 08/05/2005 Los Angeles Times | Where to go in Southern California for open adoptions
- 09/26/2001 The New York Times | THE NONPROFIT WORLD; Couples Looking to Adopt Find a Shifting Spotlight
- 03/11/2001 Chicago Tribune | Internet adoption a tangled web of hope and fear
- Another Choice: A Compassionate Guide to Placing a Child for Adoption (Independent Adoption Center, 2016) Jennifer Bliss, PsyD, LCSW, LPCC (Author), Ann Wrixon, MSW (Author), Aki Parker (Illustrator)
- True Stories of Open Adoption, Volume 1 (Independent Adoption Center, 2013) Guylaine Hubbard-Brosmer, PhD, MSW (Editor), Ann Wrixon, MSW (Editor) Aki Parker (Illustrator), Kathleen Silber, MSW, ACSW (Foreword)
- Kids in the House: Open Adoption, Video Series (2013) Featuring Guylaine Hubbard-Brosmer, PhD. MSW
- Kids in the House: Open Adoption, Video Series (2013) Featuring Jennifer Bliss, PsyD, LCSW, LPCC
- Families of Open Adoption (Independent Adoption Center, 2012)
- 06/03/2009 USA Today | Letters: Placing child for adoption no longer considered taboo
- The Open Adoption Book: A Guide to Adoption without Tears (Wiley, 1998)
Originally titled – The Open Adoption Book: A Guide to Making Adoption Work for You (Macmillan, 1992)
Bruce Rappaport, PhD (Author)
- Children of Open Adoption and Their Families (Corona, 1990)
Kathleen Silber, MSW, ACSW (Author), Patricia Martinez Dorner, LPC (Author)
- Dear Birthmother: Thank You for Our Baby (Corona, 1982)
Kathleen Silber, MSW, ACSW (Author), Phylis Speedlin, JD (Author)
Bruce Rappaport (1942-2006), PhD, Founder & Former Executive Director
Independent Adoption Center was founded in 1982, by the late Bruce Rappaport, PhD, as a way to buck a system that he and other concerned adoption professionals considered unfair and cruel to all parties in the adoption triad. As a former Berkeley radical, who strove to create cultural equality throughout his life, in founding IAC, he wanted to ensure that children, birthmothers and families of all types could receive the love, help and support that is their right. His ultimate goal in progressively effecting change on a secretive, autocratic (as well as overly bureaucratic) process, was in keeping with his lifelong need to right an injustice: He wanted to do away with the stigma associated with adoption, and which prevented adoptees, their birth families and adoptive parents from being able to connect openly.
Along with his own experience with infertility, the impetus for founding the Independent Adoption Center came from Dr. Rappaport’s work as the director of a Bay Area infertility clinic. There he saw first-hand how the constant “medical treadmill” (along with the layers of red tape associated with the county’s process, if former clients decided to go the adoption route) would routinely crush hopes of wanting to start a family. Given this situation, as well as his anger at how birthmothers were treated in this system, he decided, with some of his clinic colleagues, to challenge the status quo. As few alternatives existed, he not only established Independent Adoption Center (now the largest adoption agency in the country), but also founded the National Federation for Open Adoption Education to help educate other agencies and sponsor national conferences.
A former political science professor at San Francisco State University, Dr. Rappaport earned his bachelor's and master's degrees at the University of Chicago and his doctorate in political science from UC Berkeley (during the Free Speech Movement). He was also the author of The Open Adoption Book: A Guide to Making Adoption Work for You (Macmillan, 1992), numerous open adoption articles and other writings, as well as a resource on open adoption topics for the media (including CNN, Nightline, Time, The Wall Street Journal, and The New York Times).
Independent Adoption Center will forever be indebted to Dr. Rappaport’s passion, work and leadership. Not only was his example and dynamism the foundation of IAC’s cutting edge work, but also the foundation for helping shift the cultural perspective on adoption, both here in the US and internationally.
For editorial/educational use only. To use the Independent Adoption Center logo, right-click on the one below, save and resize as needed. No commercial use without prior written permission.